The theme this week for the Just Us Girls Challenge is water which can include techniques using water. It has been a while since I played with Lindy's Magicals and embossing folders, a technique which would also would allow me to enter the Can You Handle the Pressure Challenge with an optional twist of "Tie It Up. I grabbed a few folders including this one by Lifestyle Crafts that I bought at MJ Designs which closed in 2003. Now I have some things in my stash that I have had for decades and still use regularly, but this folder is not one of them. I cannot remember the last time I used it which makes it a candidate for the Neglected Stuff Challenge.
This folder normally creates a raised pattern similar to a chain link fence. I did not want that. I wanted the "fence" to be pushed down into the paper creating "valleys" surrounded by "mountains" resembling pillows. This meant I had to use the folder with the logo facing down on the mat and the fold away from me, so when I opened it the logo side was closest to me. I put my watercolor paper on that side closest to me aka the "flat" side. I used a fan brush to sprinkle powders from the Lindy's Magicals Nuneka's Outer Space set on the paper and misted it with water until it started moving. I then carefully folded the "bumpy" side over the wet paper and ran it through my embossing machine. In other words I used the folder upside down with the logo facing down and not visible, so the panel ended up resembling snake skin thanks to the colors I used. It reminds me of the the cover of Alice Cooper's album, "Billion Dollar Baby."
I didn't want to cover much of the background, so I decided to use a Simon Says Stamp brand die to cut sentiment as the focal point for the Word Power Challenge and the Cut It Up Challenge to use a sentiment. I cut the word three times and stacked them for dimension and backed it with the shadow in gold mirror cardstock to help it stand out from the background. To grab a little more attention and fit the Can You Handle the Pressure Challenge twist, I backed the T with an accent of gold thread that I bought a few years ago, used twice, and forgot about. You could call that thread neglected. I think I will use it more now that I found it. I swiped a Rustic Wilderness Distress Oxide pad along the edge of the background to ground it before attaching it to a card base. I finished the card off off with a few sparkles.
I made a few other backgrounds with other embossing folders because I can't resist trying different combinations and techniques while I have everything out. You may see some of those in future posts. In the meantime, thank you for stopping by! Until next time, Hansi


Your background looks amazing! Great effect from using the Magicals and water on this pleasing design. Thanks for playing along with us at JUGS!
ReplyDeleteBeautifully creative, bet it feels good to bring that folder back out to put in use too!
ReplyDeleteThank you for joining our challenge at Can You Handle The Pressure, word Power and The Neglected Stuff!
Diane
{Nellies Nest}
Can You Handle The Pressure, word Power and The Neglected Stuff Co-Owner
I love the variation of colors that Magicals give and using them with that embossing folder resulted in an amazing panel, Hansi. Thanks for sharing your card with us at Just Us Girls.
ReplyDeleteLike your card and what a great technique using water.
ReplyDeleteThank you for joining us at Cut it Up for our Add a Sentiment challenge.
This is a clever way to approach the water theme at Just Us Girls! The result you got is beautiful and adding texture with the embossing was a great idea! I really like your gold outlined thanks and gems, too. Thank you for playing alog with us!
ReplyDelete