A crop party is a modern quilting bee. A group of friends gather to have girl friend time, sharing joys and sorrows while preserving memories and creating a special keepsake.

Friday, September 8, 2017

Back to School to Live a Dream



This card is for a young woman I know who graduated from Radford University a few years ago with the dream of teaching art or maybe even photography.  Of course thanks to budget cuts and the emphasis on STEM, such positions are few and far between.  She cobbled together part time jobs, some in her field and some not, until last Tuesday she began the school year as a high school photography teacher.  I am so proud of her!

For the background I applied Distress inks directly to acrylic blocks, misted them with water, and pressed them onto smooth watercolor paper.  I left each block on for several minutes to allow the color to absorb and become more vivid.  I used a MISTI to stamp the cameras three times each to get the intense black and embossed the sentiment with black embossing powder on vellum.  The embellishments are Nuvo dots.  To make the mat I used the backside of a metallic paper I bought at Micheal's years ago because it was the most intensly black paper I had.

I plan to enter this card in the Paper Players "Back to School" challenge.

Thank you for stopping by!  Until next time, Hansi

Materials:
Paper:  watercolor paper from Close to My Heart, vellum and metallic paper from Michael's
Ink:  Wild Honey, Worn Lipstick, and Broken China Distress Inks by Ranger, Black from Close to My Heart
Stamps:  Retired Close to MY Heart Stamp of the Months from years ago
Embellishemnts:  Caribbean Ocean Nuvo Drops, Black embossing powder by Stampendous

3 comments:

  1. Hansi, I love all these vintage cameras! How fun! I hope your friend finds a teaching job soon. I am a huge believer in the arts being taught in school. I love the gorgeous background you created and the embossed sentiment on the vellum! SO happy you joined my challenge this week at The Paper Players ! XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does have a job! I am so proud that she was persistent in her search. She was hired by an area school system and taught her first class this past Tuesday.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete