A crop party is a modern quilting bee. A group of friends gather to have girl friend time, sharing joys and sorrows while preserving memories and creating a special keepsake.

Sunday, January 28, 2024

Happy Birthday in Rainbow Colors




Happy Birthday to my not so little brother!  I started with the AAA Birthday prompt to use rainbow colors.   I smooshed Broken China, Wild Honey, and Worn Lipstick Distress Inks on different sized acrylic blocks, spritzed them with water, and one by one smooshed them onto watercolor paper.  I let each one sit for a bit to allow the color to seep into the paper.  Now what?  A few years ago I saw this card on Darlene Pavlick's blog and was inspired to buy the Oriental Screen die from Tutti and to fill in some of the openings with the negative pieces to create interest.  It has become my favorite background die.  I cut one from black and one from copper paper saving the leftovers for another card.  I used a CZ Design die to cut the sentiment once from copper paper and twice from black to stack.  I then cut the shadow from black.  I have to warn you that the shadow die cuts the openings in the b, d, and p's which on a busy background is distracting.  Because I used Hero Arts Color Hues Premium Pitch Black cardstock which is thick, completely matte, and has a black core, I could pop those cut out pieces back in without it being obvious.  You have to know what you are looking for to see the edges.  There was also, despite careful placement, an issue with black lines from the background cutting through the spaces between r and the t, and h and the b which looked klutzy and, again, distracting.  A pair manicuring scissors took care of that.  All that was left to do was attach the finished panel to a card base and stamp a sentiment inside.

In addition to the AAA Birthday Rainbow or Rainbow Colors, I am entering this card in the Seize the Birthday Anything Goes, and Creative Crafty Uncles Happy Birthday challenges.  You can visit these blogs to see more birthday cards to inspire you and maybe enter.  All three will be active for a few or more days.

Thank you for stopping by!  Until next time, Hansi










4 comments:

  1. I love this card. Your distress ink background is great and the die is perfect with the fill-ins. Very eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is an amazing card design and brilliant use of rainbow colours. Love it! Thanks for playing at AAA Birthday, hope to see you join in with future challenges too. Stay safe & keep crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the background with the cover plate! Awesome card. Thanks for joining in at STB and AAA Birthday

    ReplyDelete
  4. This card totally caught my attention in the gallery at Seize the Birthday! That background looks wonderful! Thanks for joining us!

    ReplyDelete