A crop party is a modern quilting bee. A group of friends gather to have girl friend time, sharing joys and sorrows while preserving memories and creating a special keepsake.

Monday, June 10, 2019

Wrapped Watercolor Snowflakes




It seems odd to be making Christmas cards while thankful for air conditioning, but making a few throughout the year is the only way I can manage to have enough ready at Christmas.  Having the time to sign, address and mail them in December is another matter, but I digress.  One of my inspirations to make Christmas cards in the off season is to play Christmas challenges such as the Christmas at Sweet Stampin's  challenge which this month is to use snowflakes.  I am combining this theme with Stamping Sensations' challenge to "show your true colors" with bright, bold, beautiful colors and Happy Little Stampers watercolor challenge.  Now bright and bold is not what I usually think of when using watercolors, but I tried a technique Jennifer McGuire calls wrapped watercolor where you use watercolors to paint a wet, heavy layer of color onto watercolor paper, cover it with wadded up plastic wrap, weigh it down (I used a cutting board with my skillet on top), and wait patiently for it to dry naturally.  It took mine overnight.  Let's just say this is not a technique to use if you need a card in a hurry.  You can see the technique in action by clicking on the link above.

Once my card was completely dry, I sponged Chipped Sapphire Distress Ink around the edges and used Stamper's Anonymous Tim Holtz Swirly Snowflakes and Mini Swirly Snowflakes stamps to heat emboss snowflakes in white.  The Merry Christmas sentiment comes from an old Close to My Heart set.  I used Navy Blue Nuvo Crystal Drops in the centers of the snowflakes and attached the panel to a white card base with craft foam for dimension.

Another card ready for Christmas!  Thank you for stopping by!  Until next time, Hansi

4 comments:

  1. A pretty Christmas card, many thanks for joining in with our 'True Colours' theme at Stamping Sensations challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful background for your pretty snowflakes Hansi. Thanks for sharing with us at Stamping Sensations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using the plastic wrap technique, and yours here turned out beautifully! The blues are perfect for a snowflake card. (Don't know about you, but I find non red and green Christmas cards easier to make this time of year. :D) Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers for the Watercolour Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fabulous colourful creation for our true colours challenge! Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations this month and good luck

    ReplyDelete