A crop party is a modern quilting bee. A group of friends gather to have girl friend time, sharing joys and sorrows while preserving memories and creating a special keepsake.

Sunday, January 21, 2024

Trying a New Technique With a Never Used Embossing Folder

 


For this card I used a new to me technique featured in this Jennifer McGuire video.  You emboss a piece of watercolor paper, spray it with your favorite ink spray and water, let it dry, and repeat until you like how it looks.  Then, because all that water will somewhat flatten out the paper, you emboss it again.  Embossing before spraying encourages the ink to pool in ways that enhance the design.  I needed a birthday card for my husband, so I flipped through my embossing folders for something a little masculine and found a Tim Holtz 3D Texture Fades folder that I have had for something like five years and had never used!  How did that happen?!  I am sure y'all never lose track of what you have...  The folder is called Foundry and I used Tree Lot, Frosted Juniper, and Antiqued Bronze Distress Mica sprays.  I used A Paper Rose die to cut the sentiment twice in thick black cardstock and once in Copper Foil paper and stacked them.  The cats were cut from some brown metallic paper from Michael's using a set from Impression Obsession and stacked on more black cardstock.  I found they faded into the background, so I used some Pebo Copper Guilding Wax which is a new addition to my craft collection, I mean stash, to give them more dimension and make them pop out.  Our pointy ear darlings would tell you that is how is should be because the cats are the most important element.

Here is the inside of the card.



I stamped a sentiment from Close to My Heart twice using Rustic Wilderness Distress Oxide ink and then dabbed a Copper Color Box pigment pad on some of the edges of the stamp and stamped a few times.  I love my MISTI!  It doesn't show well in the photo but shines in real life.  The strip at the bottom was leftover after trimming down the front panel.  My water color paper is 9x12 so I start with 4.5x6 paper.  Tim Holtz embossing folders are 6 inches inches long to accommodate standard the card size in the U.K.  I like having trimmings to play with.

I plan to enter this card in the Cut It Up challenge to use a new product, tool, technique, etc., the Die Cut Divas challenge to use a never been used item, Seize the Birthday challenge to use embossing, Color Hues Challenge to use copper and green, and the Mix It Up challenge to make anything with the option of mixed media.

Thank you for stopping by!  Until next time, Hansi




















9 comments:

  1. I've never used the Mica sprays, and your card is inspiring me to get a move on. The effect of the green and copper is beautiful! The copper sentiment and two cat silhouettes is a great design! Thanks for joining us at Color Hues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this embossing folder too and don't think I've used it! I love how you've added the cats, such a cool design and also love the patina you achieved with the sprays. Thankyou for playing along at Seize the Birthday, will check out the video link, TFS, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, I love the embossing you've done. Gorgeous card. So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous use of that JM technique, Hansi - love the rich colors you achieved with the mica sprays!! And the kitties are darling!! Thanks for sharing at Die Cut Divas!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful technique. Love the ink colors. Thank you for joining our Cut it Up challenge.
    Hugs,
    Larelyn (CIU owner)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautifully done! Thanks for joining us at Die Cut Divas this January.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the recognition over at Seize the Birthday! I saw your card and was like "I know her!" Happy to see that you're still creating. It's a lovely card and such a great result from the technique!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! You've aced this technique for sure! Fabulous debut of your new embossing folder with eye-catching results! Thank you for joining us at Colour Hues.
    ~carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job coloring that background-it really looks metallic! Thanks for joining us at the Mix It Up Challenge!

    ReplyDelete