A crop party is a modern quilting bee. A group of friends gather to have girl friend time, sharing joys and sorrows while preserving memories and creating a special keepsake.

Friday, October 29, 2021

A Cool "Burnt Wood" Technique

 




I had been pondering all week how I would use the Paper Players sketch below when I saw this video by Gina K Design. 



Essentially you score a piece of cardstock, lightly swipe ink over it, set up the sandwich for embossing a die on your die cut machine, place the panel face down on the rubber mat and the stencil on top, emboss the stencil (which actually debosses it), and then swipe more ink over it.  Being in full Christmas card mode, I used a snowflake stencil from Stampin' Up.  Rather than use the colored pencil and Gamsol technique Gina used, I lightly colored the snowflake impressions with a colored pencil.  I cut 1.5 x 3.75 inch panels, swiped more ink round the edges, and stacked each on two layers of heavy Very Vanilla cardstock for dimension.  I attached the outer two panels first and then lined up the middle panel evenly between them.  HINT:  Pay attention to how the design lines up.  I had to perform a card-ectomy because I attached the middle panel upside down.

I had sort of an antiqued brass embellishment I wanted to use to anchor the sentiment, but it did not show well.  I tried coating it in gold embossing powder, but it still didn't show, so I tried platinum powder from Ranger which worked, but I did have to sacrifice some of the detail.  I like to think it evokes the look of old worn hardware on a wooden cupboard.  I used the same powder to emboss the sentiment and gild the edges.

This technique would work well for any masculine card.  Thank you for stopping by!  Until nexy time, Hansi

4 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! I love the rustic country feel to your snowflake panel! Very cool way to add the embellishment too, it adds just the right rustic touch to your sentiment! Thanks so much for playing with my sketch this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love every bit of this card Hansi!! Such a cool technique I will have to check out and I love your determination to use the hardware and get it to show! Thanks for sharing at The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great explanation of this technique Hansi - it really makes me want to give it a try, the effect is impressive! Those rustic snowflakes are fabulous. Thanks for sharing with us over at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this technique and it result and your card is stunning.

    ReplyDelete