A crop party is a modern quilting bee. A group of friends gather to have girl friend time, sharing joys and sorrows while preserving memories and creating a special keepsake.

Monday, June 14, 2021

Using Up Old Backgrounds

 


I know I am not the only one who makes backgrounds and finds that some of them are, shall we say,  less pleasing to the eye.  Sometimes I can salvage a part of such a background and use it to back a window type die cut like with these cards, but sometimes not.  I had one such background leftover after making these cards where I created bokeh backgrounds using gold rather than white pigment ink for the over laying circles, and it has been sitting in my box for almost six (!) years waiting to be used.  

When I saw this Freshly Made Sketch I thought about a die from Penny Black I bought last February and have yet to play with use.  



This is how I discovered that using a die such as a sentiment or very small shapes breaks up areas of color enough to simply give some color variation and interest to the die cut.  I backed the die cuts with two layers of Neenah 110 lb. cardstock for dimension.  Next I used a Penny Black Stitched Nested Frame to emboss a white panel, backed it with the remnants of my failed background and a single layer of 110 lb. cardstock for dimension and adhered it to a white cardbase.

I also plan to enter this card in the Happy Little Stampers Anything Goes With Dies Challenge, Just Us Girls No Stamping Challenge, and the Penny Black Saturday Challenge, Anything Goes or Fussy or Fancy.

Thank you for stopping by!  Until next time, Hansi









5 comments:

  1. Sweet as can be! Great textured frame around your wonderful sentiment! The hearts are perfect! Glad you joined us at FMS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you used the sketch! It's so perfect to showcase that fabulous big sentiment surrounded by the colorful hearts. Thank you for playing along with us at Freshly Made Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card with a powerful message! Thank you for sharing this in the Just Us Girls and HLS galleries!
    ~carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous sentimnet!
    Thank you for sharing with Happy Little Stampers!
    Susan
    DT for AG with Dies
    Calling All Crafters! – My Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card - great use of your 'failed' background!
    Thanks so much for playing at the Penny Black Saturday Challenge!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete