A crop party is a modern quilting bee. A group of friends gather to have girl friend time, sharing joys and sorrows while preserving memories and creating a special keepsake.

Friday, September 25, 2020

Balloons and Confetti for Sieze the Birthday 200th Challenge

 



Seize the Birthday is celebrating their 200th challenge! With prizes!  Usually they have a topping/theme which is optional.  If it's not your thing then anything in the way of a birthday card goes.  For this challenge only they want you to take inspiration from this graphic and state what part of it inspired you.




I chose to include balloons and the colors.  Also, the spatters reminded me of confetti which people used to include in cards sometimes until they caught on to the fact that their friends don't appreciate celebrating their birthday by getting out the vacuum after opening a card.  Since I try to be considerate, I trapped the confetti in a shaker.  This will allow me to enter this card in the Simply Create Too challenge to make a shaker card.

I started with the Happy Birthday die set from CZ Designs which has a sentiment and shadow.  The sentiment was easy.  I cut it twice from thick white cardstock backed by a Stick It sheet and once from thick black cardstock, no Stick It.  I stacked them together to give dimension and help the sentiment stand out when backed by sequins.  I used Stick It for the white cardstock, so I would not have to fool with glue and risk getting it on the acetate when it was time to attach the sentiment to the card.

Now for the shaker!  I used the shadow die to cut the opening in a 4.25 x 5.5 inch front card panel.  Then I cut two pieces of craft foam that were 1/4 inch smaller in length and width.  I put the card panel over each piece and traced the opening on to the craft foam.  To get a head start on cutting the opening I ran each piece through my die cut machine with the shadow die. After I glued both pieces of craft foam together I used scissors to enlarge the opening by 1/8 inch all around.  I used two sheets of foam to give my shaker pieces plenty of room to shake.  Next I glued a piece of acetate behind the opening on the card panel, flipped the card over and attached the sentiment on the front pressing with a bone folder, flipped it again, and then glued on the double decker foam sheet to the back being careful to line up the openings.  After I put some sequins in the opening I sealed it with a small piece of white card stock, keeping the card face side down until I was sure the glue was dry.

While the glue was drying I used a Stampin' Up punch to cut out some balloons from scraps and inked the edges to give them some dimension.  I also cut the word celebrate in two colors.  I will get to that later.  Once the glue was dry, I laid the balloons where I wanted them on the front panel, marked  the spot, and drew lines/strings with a black pen.  I attached the balloons, using thin foam tape behind the green balloon and thicker foam tape behind the blue one.  I glued the panel to a 4.5 x 5.75 inch black mat and then a 5 x 6.25 card base.  

About those celebrate die cuts?  They were stacked slightly off set and put inside with another balloon:



This is what it looks like shaken and flat:




Thank you for stopping by!  Until next time, Hansi


2 comments:

  1. Such an awesome shaker card! The balloons look so incredible and I love the way the sentiment is part of the shaker! Sooooo creative! So glad you played along with our 200th Challenge at Seize the Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you shadowed your balloons on this super fun shaker card! Absolutely love how you did the sentiment/shaker. Thanks for playing along with us at Seize the Birthday!

    ReplyDelete