A crop party is a modern quilting bee. A group of friends gather to have girl friend time, sharing joys and sorrows while preserving memories and creating a special keepsake.

Monday, September 21, 2020

"Stained Glass" Snowflake

 



I saw this Jennifer McGuire video last year and finally got around to trying the technique for the Jingle Belles' Heavy Metal/ Baby It's Gold Outside challenge. and the Die Cut Divas' Holiday challenge.  If you don't have time for a video, I will try to explain what I did.  First I used a Stick It adhesive sheet to back a sheet of heavy white cardstock and cut five die cuts using the Spellbinders Snowflake Snippets die.  I also cut a square the size of the die cuts from heavy cardstock without Stick It for a base.  Using Stick It or another type of two sided adhesive sheet makes it a lot easier to "glue" the die cuts together.  I attached one die cut to the square and then colored in the spaces with my Zig Clean Color Real Brush markers followed by a shimmer brush.  Next I stacked on three more of the die cuts and applied Glossy Accents in the spaces.  The goal is not to completely fill the wells, but to make sure you have a generous amount that gets into all the nooks and crannies.   I used a toothpick to pull it into the tight corners.  While the Glossy Accents dried I coated the last die cut with Versamark and heat embossed it using Ranger superfine silver embossing powder.  I did this a total of three times.  I then stamped and heat embossed the sentiment on the card front after laying the embossed die cut on it to check the placement.  After waiting a few hours for the glossy accents to thoroughly dry I attached the embossed die cut on top to make it look like stained glass and used a liquid adhesive to attached it to the card panel.

A few thoughts:  The stacked die cuts really do look like stained glass giving it a definite wow factor.  This is not a card I would send to just anybody and nor does it lend itself to mass production.  It it is quite thick and should be mailed in a padded envelope.

I will also be entering this in the Crafty Hazelnuts Christmas Challenge which is a new one for me.  Thank you for stopping by!  Until next time, Hansi

4 comments:

  1. WOW, Beautiful and quite a bit of time and effort - yes, I wouldn't just send this to anyone, you friend will love this. Pictures, I'm sure, don't do this justice. So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas in our Holidays challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh WOW! what an AMAZING card! and again i say WOW!!!! so pleased you could join our JINGLE BELES fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wowza ... what an amazing result ... so glad you joined our GOLDen Christmas at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool Hansi!! What a neat technique and you explained it very well! I might have to give this a try if I have a good die for it! TFS!

    ReplyDelete